Sunday, September 18, 2011

on the edge

Sometimes...

Sometimes its strange what we remember. The conversations we remember. the people we remember. the thoughts that ran through our heads. We can't seem to understand why certain things are important. Yet, I have such vivid memories of somethings.

I think i will always remember this. The speech I heard from a classmate during my 3rd year of undergrad. She stood brave in front of the class talking about how she felt as if she was teetering on the edge. She had not fallen off the other side, yet she was not on stable ground. She talked about the struggle to stay on the right side, the struggle of not falling, the constant battle which she had to stay right and do the right thing.

I think this is what makes some of us great. We never lose focus on that thing. We teeter constantly, but we do not fall. We stay true. We keep striving to do the right thing. We know that sometimes we have to sacrifice a lot to do the right thing,. Sometimes we just have to give up a little bit of the things that we want in order to do the right thing.

I know I strive to teeter longer. I know that I have almost fallen many times. But I also know that I don't want to fall into the darkness. I want to stay well, I want to be proud of the life that I will live. Now and in the future I want to stay teetering, stay challenged, and stay ready to take on the next step of the way. Every time I want to be reminded of the hard times when we might not know how to act.

I want to just be happy with all the choices I make. I want to just be able to look back on the choices which I have made along the way and be able to relive my life with a smile.

I just want to smile. a lot. and sometimes.


No comments: