Friday, May 18, 2012

memories of emotions


Who are you influenced by?

Everybody.

Artists of course, and if you want names, I would say Rockwell, Wyeth, Remington, Renoir, Rembrandt, Tadahiro Ueusugi, Kiraz, just to name a few, but I'm mostly influenced by everyday events. By the people that are around me, such as my wife and my daughter, my friends and coworkers, the barista at the coffee shop, and the cashier at the grocery store.

What is your inspiration?

In everyday life. In my daughter, my wife, my friends, my work. Sometimes I’ll be biking down the street and see something that I like and it will wind up in the next sketch. Sometimes it’s being at the supermarket or giving a bath to my daughter and she looks at me and smiles. It lasts for a second, but the memory of it stays with me for a long time. These are the things that interest me the most.



i have this obsession with interviews. I read them over and over again. i watch them over and over again. all my favorite people. from the people who play tennis well, to the art that i enjoy, to the writers that keep me living, to the academics who have the best minds, to the musicians who help me sing well and dance better. interviews are so interesting. i have always liked to write, i am not good enough nor do i try hard enough to have dreams of writing a book or anything like that. but something i have always kind of wanted to do is write an autobiography. not to sell, because i hope no one would want to buy it. but just something that my kids could read, or maybe close friends. i think people have such different and interesting perspectives on what goes on around them. 

the above comes from interviews of a guy that i have recently really enjoyed. his art is very emotional and story telling and i like that. i really liked his work and couldn't really figure out what it was that drew me to liking it so much. but when i started to read his interviews and what not, i think i figured it out. he seems to be really taken back by random people in our daily lives, people that we might only encounter once, but that leave some kind of lasting memory or emotion. simple stuff like a smile or laugh. its strange the memories that imprint themselves on our minds. real things of value. value is nice.  



No comments: